Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Hel-LO KITTEH!



Hello Kitty! bento arrived from China yesterday. I had to order two of these because my dog Rufus is giving one to a friend's cat as a gift. I had been uncertain about Kitty's size and thought it might be tiny, but as you see it is pretty big (it's next to my standard size bento box for comparison in the picture above). And the lid or Kitty's face domes up so there's even extra room.

"Hello Kitty" is a strange phenomenon; raging fad from Japan that has lasted for years and finally become a mass production commodity in the U.S. You can now buy Hello Kitty pajamas at Target. What does it mean? The strange little expressionless cat face stares back at us from a mysterious distance.


Kitty has: egg salad, raw veggies, grapes, babybel cheese, a brownie bite, and a slice of raisin toast.

Jan's bento is similar:

but also has salami-cheese rollups and the Ak-Mak crackers he likes, along with some wasabi peas for crunch.

We got an extra 6 inches of snow yesterday and that's no April Fool. I hope winter is almost finished with us; we are getting cranky.

3 comments:

  1. I HAVE THAT HELLO KITTY BOX!!!!
    I am not really into HK but I love the flower on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eilismaura: It was that flower that made me buy this one! It called my name out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for HK!!! I LUV this new box of yours! ^^

    Those crackers look sorta like Wasa crackers - I wonder if they taste similar...

    ReplyDelete