Saturday, June 6, 2009

Inarizushi or...??



5 a.m. this morning found me making my first attempt at inarizushi, those little pillows of goodness which have fascinated me since I first saw them on someone's bento blog.

I had purchased 'fried tofu pouches' in Madison WI at Brian's graduation, and froze them. Now they were thawed and ready. First I read a bunch of recipes on the internet and developed a sort of average idea from all the variations, mostly in sauce ingredients.

The tofu pockets first get rinsed in boiling water to wash the oil off, then poached in a flavoring sauce of soy, mirin, sugar, salt, broth, etc. Here is where a lot of differences come in.

Then they are drained and dried, then stuffed with sushi rice and whatever else you like.

So first off, my tofu pouches were more like blocks, so I think I bought the wrong thing. They had to be cut open with a knife, whereas the recipes all say "gently press open with your fingers", and there would have been no way to "fold over the end like an envelope after filling"; these brickies would just have broken.

However! I had fun toasting black sesame seeds for the first time - they pop like crazy!! and I also used my onigiri press for the first time.



This works really swell, especially if you remember to dip it in water between uses. I made some really honkin onigiri, each one having an ume plum in its middle; maybe they are too fat really - you might need a nap after eating one of these for lunch.

Black sesame tastes great but does present that dental hazard: the smile of black spots! That would really liven up my office hours. "Hello!" (big smile)-- Student leaves in a hurry...

3 comments:

  1. They look great! So how did they taste?? I have some of those tofu pockets in the freezer and I will make inari sushi one of these days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They taste wonderful! The slightly sweet tofu, the salty rice, the smoky sesame seeds...And then you can add a snippet of pickled ginger on top. The ultimate comfort food! I could eat a dangerous amount of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I have been scared since I am not a huge fan of tofu but the pockets are so thin - I thought they might be okay... I am still scared though! X_____X

    ReplyDelete