Friday, March 6, 2009

Bento of Cute Overload



Jan's bento is as kyoot as I could make it this morning. He has: jalapeno egg salad, tabouli salad made with kashi and soybeans, keftedes, grapes, triscuits and a Babybel cheese, wasabi peas, and a Korean cake/cookie from Madison.

To kyoot it up I added little animal picks in the grapes, a teensy dill pickle on a blue plastic lamb fork, and (my current pride & joy!) little monkey face sauce containers with ketchup and Kewpie mayonnaise for the keftedes. Inside each monkey is a teensy spatula for spreading the sauce! Can you top that??!! (I KNOW Avie can...)

When I started making Jan bento lunches, they were all for the Zojirushi Mr. Bento and my purpose was to keep him from going to the candy machine at work or running out of energy, while also staying within the diabetes nutritional guidelines.

OK I think that is working - but can we also reach his cute threshold? Mr. Bento is very 'masculine' in a way: sleek aluminum, uniform diameter round containers. The crazy merriment that is bento at its best, is hard to work into Mr. Bento. So this week I am on the cute mission. Octo-dogs incoming!!

Here's my own lunch, in the black sheep shopping bento that I adore:

Same stuff but more grapes for the fruit-bat in my soul.

3 comments:

  1. FL! Thanks for the shout out! :) You are quickly becoming one of my favorite people! :) I noticed you changed the name and "mission statement" of your blog - awesome! Your becoming such a well-rounded bento-er! :)

    Okay, I have to tell ya - when I first saw the title of this post I thought it said "Bento Of The Cute Overlord" LOL! Who is this Cute Evil Overlord who is eating bento??? LOL! *needs coffee*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have a fruit bat in your soul. :) Jan's bento is so cute - love the sauce containers. Will you pack lunch for me too? tehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avie: You're the best!

    Ranchette: I would love to make us trail ridin bentos! And include little star-shaped carrot bits for the horses. But I'd need to stop and eat right away...

    ReplyDelete