Saturday, November 21, 2009

Hello Kitty Hello Sandwich!



It seems that packing a bento in a single-section container has its own challenges, more difficult than the two level containers with dividers. I'm slowly figuring out that if you really pack i.e. place everything right up against something else, the food arrives at noon in better condition - not shaken up and falling apart.

Here I made Jan a sandwich out of kalamata olive flat omelet, lunch meat, and cheese; then I stuffed a fresh sweet pepper with green olives and stashed that in the lower level. Granny Smith apple with peanut butter in the center, a pack of mystery snacks from the Asian grocery, sugar snap peas, mustard Kitty, and a small white chocolate pudding topped with chocolate chips. I put wooden picks through the sandwich layers to hold them together in transit.

My goal was to have the pudding arrive upright and sandwich still holding together and: Mission Accomplished.

Here's a photo of the types of picks I use. Jan is particularly amused by the somewhat phallic koala bear. The long slender ones are great for sandwich integrity.



These are all either from EBay sellers or J-List and are quite inexpensive.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, that's a cute box! I don't have a large one tier box, so I never had the problems you mention. But I think I understand them. Your lunch looks great^^ I'm happy for you, that everything was still at his place ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lil'chan: Thanks! it's a good day when lunch is not scattered all about....

    ReplyDelete